Saturday, April 10, 2010

Modern Masters I : Joanna Newsom

Joanna Newsom's music never ceases to enchant me. When I close my eyes, headphones locking me in to her work, it seems to take me back in time to a troubadour, roaming the forest road with a song on her lips that stops you in your cloth footware. I admit, it would be hard for her to wander aimlessly around with a full sized harp, but this is my fantasy, so don't worry about logic. Her new triple album,Have One on Me, is staggering in scope, yet no more so than the five long songs that encompassed 2006's YS. Her lyrics are chocked full of double entendres, cryptic fairy tales, and heartbreaking proclamations of love, that the freak folk moniker hardly begins to describe her power.
No proper video has been released for the album yet, but a fan made one for the song '81 featuring footage from the 1970 Czech film Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders will suffice! Talk to you all soon. Let me know of any modern masters you like, and if I am sufficiently turned on to them, I will include them here.



Listen to a full concert of Joanna Newsom on March 23, 2010 via NPR


No comments:

Post a Comment