Monday, June 21, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 41: Don't Stop Me Now

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (1978)

I got into a discussion with a friend the other day about the best Queen song. His choice was "The Show Must Go On", the soaring power ballad from Freddie Mercury's final opus, Innuendo. While it is hard to deny that track's majesty, Queen has always found its footing of immortality in their campy anthems. From "Killer Queen" to "I'm Going Slightly Mad", their road is littered with smart and witty snippets of fun. The topper comes from their Jazz album, which is decidedly forgotten when ranking their best albums. Now, to be honest, I'm not sure if this would be my favorite without Shaun of the Dead. That film makes this song stand out to you. Before it, I had always looked over this number on my Queen's Greatest Hits cd. Now I own Jazz, as well as most of the other Queen discography. So let's end by saying that this is quite an introduction into the slightly less popular songs of this fabled band and earns its spot as my favorite. Anyway, you can't beat a song that mentions Lady Godiva while bringing back the piano driven rock of Jerry Lee Lewis!

No comments:

Post a Comment