Friday, June 25, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 47: Hyperballad

Hyperballad - Bjork (1995)

Before this song, Bjork was just that weird little pixie on the video with the big stuffed bear that eats her. In the age of Alternative Nation, 120 Minutes and Beavis & Butt-Head, this video was always on at some point during the day. I started to become oddly fascinated by this elf-like Icelander. When Rolling Stone announced (Oh, the days of hearing about new releases in a print magazine!) she had a second album coming out, my interest peaked. At Camelot Music a few weeks after the album was released, I scanned Post under the bar-code reader, and selected "Hyperballad" as a test song for the disc......... and I was floored. I had never heard such powerful lyrics over top of dance music. I spent my allowance on the disc, and found that the rest of the platter held up as well. It still is one of the best albums of the 90's, and "Hyperballad" is one of the greatest creations from our gelfling channeling, swan dress wearing, academy award deserving princess of (In the truest sense of the word) Alternative.



This string version from Telegram is pretty impressive as well, even if you can't dance to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment