Tuesday, May 3, 2011

JDIZZY's 365 # 359: Newborn

Newborn - Elbow (2001)

"I'll be the corpse in your bathtub/Useless"

There ain't a better opening line in the entire 365!

Elbow were always different from their Britpop peers even in the waning years of the movement, which is when the group released their debut disc Asleep In The Back. For one, they wrote more intricate music than anyone in the game besides Kula Shaker.

For two..........It's freakin' prog!!!

Today's track was inspired by the musical arrangement of Genesis' 1976 classic "Entangled", which the band openly admitted in interviews. As college was the time that my prog flag really started flying, I jumped on these guys as soon as I saw their album in Uncut Magazine's best of 2001 album poll. I haven't stopped listening to their ethereal symphonic rock since.

And "Newborn" still gets me every time I hear it. It's just gorgeous pop music.

They've been awarded multiple accolades, gained hit singles and even won their country's equivalent of a Grammy (The Mercury Prize) in the last decade.

They're basically still unknown in The States.

Let's change that, true believers.

Whadaya say??!!?!?



It works all acoustic too.

No comments:

Post a Comment