Wednesday, July 7, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 58: Golden Ring

Golden Ring - George Jones & Tammy Wynette (1976)

Sometimes songs come along at the right time. In 2008, I was getting over a bad relationship and a friend turned me on to this #1 Country Classic. Not only did the song absolutely floor me with its story of love gone wrong from the wedding ring's point of view, but it also demonstrated how strong we as human beings can be. George and Tammy had only been divorced for less than a year when they recorded this song. Then, they had to go on TV to promote it, perform it and smile at each other while doing it!!! Their tumultuous relationship and freshly hurt feelings were brushed aside for this track to become the song it is today. If that isn't devotion to your craft, I don't know what is. Needless to say, it put my own troubles into perspective, since I was working with my former flame as well. I stayed with the job and started dating the love of my life just a few months later (She's the one I live in Philly with!!). I don't know if I can thank this song directly for my good fortune, but I smile every time I hear it, just like George and Tammy did on TV all those years ago.



Dwight and Emmylou, you just invented Cowpunk!

No comments:

Post a Comment