Saturday, August 14, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 97: For Crying Out Loud

For Crying Out Loud - Meatloaf (1977)

When I was in 8th grade I wrote a treatment for a Broadway Musical based on Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell. The First act ended with the lead character regretting the marriage he entered thanks to "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", and longing for the girl who got away (the one who made him realize that "Heaven Can Wait"!). He then sings us this power ballad, Wagnerian in scope, combining the best parts of Phil Spector, Opera and Bruce Springsteen's keyboard player. It has always been my favorite of Meat's, and I believe it would have segued nicely into the second act, made up of songs from Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell. I think now I will have to revise it, since 2006 gave us Bat Out Of Hell III. Speaking of Wagner, this looks as if it could be as long as The Ring Cycle


No comments:

Post a Comment