Friday, May 28, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 19 : Jeremy Bender

Jeremy Bender - Emerson, Lake and Palmer (1971)

They have been soft and they have been hard. They have been epically subtle and they have been obviously epic. They have been reviled and they have been given a reappraisal. They are ELP, and they are the reason I love Progressive Rock. Discovering Tarkus in my father's record collection years before I even knew Peter Gabriel was in Genesis, they entranced me with their cover art. After dropping the needle on this Cotillion Records release I was taken to a strange land, with strange creatures called Tarkus and Manticore. And oh, those synthesizers!!! This story of Jeremy, a cross-dressing "man of leisure" was a happy-go-lucky respite after the previous earth-shaking mythology (even if I had no idea how one "spends his pleasure in the evening sun"). Clocking in at just under two minutes, I regard no end-of-a -side mixtape filler higher(except maybe Terrance & Phillip singing "Uncle F**kah").

No comments:

Post a Comment