Thursday, April 7, 2011

JDIZZY's 365 # 331: Roscoe

Roscoe - Midlake (2006)

On first listen to this gem, I thought I was hearing "Rhiannon" re-written by America with electric guitars. Then, I remembered I had clicked on a link for the band Midlake, so that thought quickly left my brain.

But it kept coming back while listening to their peerless sophomore album The Trials Of Van Occupanther. This is a band who studied their 70's rock. They even moved into prog and folk metal on their third disc!

Still, "Roscoe" gets me whenever it shows up on my ipod, or when I seek it out. Maybe its the stonecutter's reference in the first line. Maybe it reminds me of how stylistically different the boys have been on their three releases. Or maybe they are just the kind of band I'd like to be in when I grow up.....

The options are limitless.



UK sensation Ellie Goulding does a wonderful singer/songwriter take on the song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment