Sunday, April 10, 2011

JDIZZY's 365 # 335: Whistle For The Choir

Whistle For The Choir - The Fratellis (2006)

I thought The Fratellis had a nice Goonies reference of a name, but I didn't check them out until my fiancee made me a mix cd featuring today's song. Needless to say, I was a fan from my first listen. Their Kinksian delivery was right up my ally, and you gotta love Brit Pop with a mandolin! Also, the lyrics are freakin' adorable, making this a timeless song that easily could have been recorded by Herman' s Hermits, Seals & Crofts, or Dexy's Midnight Runners in their respective decades.
Although the group seems to have gone on extended hiatus after the release of their second disc in 2008, their music is some of the happiest of modern indie rock. Both discs, as well as side project Codeine Velvet Club and Jon Fratelli's upcoming solo debut, are not to be ignored.

Thank you amazing music loving fiancee. I never would have known of these guys without ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment