Wednesday, October 6, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 150: Sail On

Sail On - The Commodores (1979)

The late seventies and early eighties were a banner time for songs that started as ballads before becoming up-tempo jams before the end of the track. Some of my favorites include "Hard To Say I'm Sorry/ Get Away" by Chicago, "The Load Out/ Stay" by Jackson Browne, and this, the finest thing the venerable Lionel Richie ever put to vinyl. I have been an apologist of the artist for years, but now I see no point to continue. His music has stood the test of time. If you can't find something in this song to like, from the heartfelt lyrics to the inevitable funk break that sails the single on to its end, then you must prefer music of a harder variety. For you, I say listen to Lionel and Rob Zombie re-record Brickhouse. If that doesn't work, well, I suppose you just were never meant to love Mr. Richie or his equally talented band mates. In which case, I feel sorry for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment