Tuesday, October 12, 2010

JDIZZY's 365 # 158: Where Is My Mind?

Where Is My Mind? - The Pixies (1988)

This story begins 11 years before I first heard the musicians we will discuss today. Being eight years old in 1988 meant that Michael Jackson's Bad was a lot more accessible then REM's Document or Nirvana's Bleach. Hence, I didn't get into Athens, Georgia's finest and Seattle's saviors until "Losing My Religion" and "Come As You Are" in '91, the year that Out Of Time and Nevermind opened my ears to underground music. Reading any article I could about the two bands in the next three years, I began to notice that they both made references to The Pixies, a band I had never heard. In the golden age of major label alternative releases ('93-'96), I soaked up albums by The Breeders and Frank Black. Rolling Stone informed me that both were former members of The Pixies. I made a mental note that I needed to check this band out. Then classic rock kind of took over my listening tastes for about 4 years and I forgot to research further. Then, while sitting in a movie theater, I heard the band's signature song play while the buildings toppled at the end of Fight Club. Let's just say, after scanning the ending credits to see who that could be playing this incredible treatise on insanity and fish, I was happily surprised to find I had finally been exposed to The Pixies. Their music continues to be some of my favorite 11 years later, and I fully understand now why Kurt said "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a Pixies knock-off. Frank and Kim should get co-writing credits.



An unlikely cover and mashup follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment