Tuesday, January 4, 2011

JDIZZY's 365 # 229: For You

For You - Tracy Chapman (1988)

For many years, Tracy Chapman was "Fast Car" and "Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution" in my music infested head..... and not much else. Then on a whim, I purchased her debut album long after I should have and long after her career resurgence in the mid-nineties. In this album I found a voice that was patient, a voice that knew I would come around eventually and appreciate what she had to offer. After hearing this track, I had to pull my car off the road into to a gas station parking lot for a moment's solace; so struck was I by the honest portrayal of love that she had somehow found the perfect notes, words and cadence for. This is the ultimate make out ballad for a music nerd, right up there with Dave Matthews' #41.
Yep.
You don't think so?
Start a mix off with those two songs in reverse order and watch your lover melt into a puddle of singer/songwriter created goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment